Thursday, August 13, 2020

Acting on Impulse

When we got home some celebrity on TV was describing how she kept individually wrapped cookies everywhere to teach herself impulse control.

Dr. Deb saw my expression and laughed. “That’s not how you do it?”

I said, “If I hid pills under the bed, it wouldn’t take much of an impulse to eat them. Having to go downstairs to get them would take a much stronger impulse.”

“If they’re locked up, and I had the key,” Dr. Deb said, “You’d really have to want them.”

“That’s how you practice impulse control. Not by willpower, by making it hard to act on impulse.”

“That’s why you still avoid alcohol after all these years,” Dr. Deb said. “Maybe I should get rid of all the junk you impulsively eat.”

“Brat Boy eats most of it,” I lied. “He has no impulse control.”

Today I will practice impulse control.

 

Summer with the Slug Rats © 2020 by Ken Montrose

Summer with the Slug Rats is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

www.greenbriartraining.com  

https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S

https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

 

No comments:

Post a Comment