Thursday, August 6, 2020


SUMMER WITH THE SLUG RATS

Backwards Gratitude

That night we went to a viewing of an old friend, a good man who passed away too soon.

“If something happened to me, would you drink again?” Dr. Deb asked. “I’d hate to think you would.”

I thought for a moment, “i don't think so, but nobody knows how they’ll hold up until they have to. I do know I’d try to write a backwards gratitude list.”

“How does that work?”

“Starting with our last moments together I’d list my favorite memories, working backwards in time. I’d try to add to the list every time I remembered something new.” 

“You’re thinking you could replace some of the pain with gratitude.”

“Exactly,” I smiled at her and added, “You don’t have to wait until someone’s gone to write that list. Without the pain of loss, it’s pure joy.” 

Today I will write a backwards gratitude list.

Summer with the Slug Rats © 2020 by Ken Montrose

Summer with the Slug Rats is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: 

www.greenbriartraining.com  

https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S 

https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/


No comments:

Post a Comment