Wednesday, August 12, 2020

 SUMMER WITH THE SLUG RATS

The Right Kind of Ugly

“That’s not an outside shirt,” Dr. Deb said to me later that day as we headed out to eat.  Brat Boy and I looked at each other, puzzled.


“It’s, I don’t know…” Dr. Deb said, trailing off.


“The right kind of ugly,” Brat Boy said. We fist bumped. He was wearing a fluorescent orange shirt emblazoned with rodent buccaneers.  The skull and crossbones on their ship’s flag formed a mathematical symbol. Pi rats.


Dr. Deb shook her head. “There’s no such thing as the right kind of ugly.”


As was so often the case, I was torn between what I knew to be true, and what I wanted to hear. My shirt was butt ugly, but I liked it and wanted to believe it was the right kind of ugly.


“I’ll change,” I said, as Brat Boy shook his head.

 

Today I’ll act on what I know to be true.

 

Summer with the Slug Rats © 2020 by Ken Montrose


Summer with the Slug Rats is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

www.greenbriartraining.com  

https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S

https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/


No comments:

Post a Comment