Monday, August 31, 2020

 

Fawlty Showers


Change

Doubt crept in as my first day at the new job approached. In August of 2025 I was 65 years old. I wondered if changing jobs a few years shy of retirement was such a good idea. I called my new boss, just to make sure the new job was right for me.


“Hey Randy,” I said, “What’s the coffee situation?”


Randy said, “There’s always a pot brewing in the staff lounge. Our intern gets donuts every morning from the bakery down the block.”


I asked about the brand of coffee, the variety of donuts, and the donut to staff ratio.


“You’ve asked more questions about coffee and donuts than you did about our benefits package,” Randy said, laughing.


I didn’t tell Randy I was stalling, looking for a reason not to make a change. I’d seen enough people miss out because they put off making a change to know sometimes you just had to push through your doubts and do it.


Today I won’t look for reasons to put off making a change.

 


Fawlty Showers © 2020 by Ken Montrose

Fawlty Showers is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

·        www.greenbriartraining.com 
·         https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S
·         https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/


No comments:

Post a Comment