Friday, August 14, 2020

 SUMMER WITH THE SLUG RATS

A Life of Quiet Perspiration


“Living a life of quiet perspiration,” I said to myself as I opened my laptop.


Brat Boy overheard me and asked, “Isn’t it ‘a life of quiet desperation’?”


“That’s the original quote,” I agreed, “But a life of quiet perspiration is working a little harder than you have to, without burning out, or shortchanging your family. It can be really rewarding.”


“I get the perspiration part, but why quiet, other than if fits with the quote?”


“Because if you’re doing it for the applause, you’re likely to be disappointed.  You gotta do it because you want to, because the effort is rewarding now and the results may be someday.”


“So you keep writing fiction, even though your last royalty check was for $1.43.”


“An accurate if painful example,” I said.


Today I will live a life of quiet perspiration.


Summer with the Slug Rats © 2020 by Ken Montrose

Summer with the Slug Rats is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

www.greenbriartraining.com  

https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S

https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/


No comments:

Post a Comment