Monday, August 3, 2020


SUMMER WITH THE SLUG RATS

Patience

While I was in the shower I prayed the dog would bark to be let out. Dr. Deb would get out of bed wondering how her children who could hear their phones ring two rooms away couldn’t hear the dog barking.

No such luck. The dog waited until I had my car keys in hand to go to the door. I looked at my watch and cursed.

‘Sometimes all you can do is be grateful for a lesson in patience,’ I remembered someone in AA saying to me as we listened to a particularly boring speaker drone on.

The dog sniffed here and there, circled the yard twice, and got her leash wrapped around the lamppost. She stopped umpteen times before finally picking THE SPOT. I looked at my watch once more.

“I don’t like you,” I said to the dog. “I’ve never liked you. I wanted another cat.”  She wagged her tail furiously.

Today I’ll try to be grateful for lessons in patience.

Summer with the Slug Rats © 2020 by Ken Montrose

Summer with the Slug Rats is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

www.greenbriartraining.com  

https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S

https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/


No comments:

Post a Comment