Tuesday, September 1, 2020


Fawlty Showers

No Excuse

The next day I sat down to write my blog. I read my message from the day before.  One line made no sense.

The only drawback to being sober I ever saw was not having an excuse for stupid mistakes, dumb remarks, and forgetting things. I couldn’t claim I’d written that line hungover.  My last bender had been a rough one, but I was pretty sure 31 years later all the alcohol was out of my system.

I had no excuse for blurting out things better left unsaid, like “Your son doesn’t look like you.” Or “You’re not pregnant?” “Can’t that day, I’m going to your surprise party.”

Alcohol had no part in me forgetting where I parked the car or the combination to the lock on my locker as I stood draped in a towel, trying for the umpteenth time to remember the last number. I couldn’t blame booze for the ten minutes I spent looking for the glasses on my head.

The best I could do was own my mistakes, grateful not having an excuse gave me motivation to correct them.

 

Today I’ll gratefully own my mistakes.

 

Fawlty Showers © 2020 by Ken Montrose

Fawlty Showers is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

·         www.greenbriartraining.com 

·         https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S

·         https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment