Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Fawlty Showers

“Oh, I see you have a badge…”

I had been asked to give my lead at the Monday Night No More Shots AA meeting. The No More Shots group had been started by a group of nurses in recovery. 

On that day in October of 2025 I had almost 37 years sober. I’d told my story hundreds of times to thousands of people. I had grown tired of repeating it.

“The last time I had a drink I made an illegal left and hit a county sheriff…” I started, telling the familiar tale of a me I hardly remembered.

They say people who don’t remember history are doomed to repeat it. I’d learned people who didn’t remember their addictive past were also doomed to repeat it, sinking lower each time. I spoke that night to remind myself the past was only a drink away.

Today I will remember lessons from the past.

Fawlty Showers © 2020 by Ken Montrose

Fawlty Showers is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

·         www.greenbriartraining.com 

·         https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S

·         https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

 

No comments:

Post a Comment