Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Fawlty Showers


Gestures Not Involving a Single Finger

Cuddles walked to the door, looked left to right, and waited. I heard a chattering sound I hadn’t heard in years.


A ferret, dragging something in his mouth, scampered into my office. Cuddles returned to his perch on the box. The ferret dropped a Gummi Bear on the floor by my desk and looked up at me. He smiled.


Ferrets don’t smile. They scurry, they play, they hide whatever they can drag away including wallets and car keys, but they don’t smile. This one did.


I wondered if I was losing my mind a little, but I smiled back.


Sometimes the smallest gesture makes the biggest difference. Somebody holding the elevator, or slowing down to let me onto the highway can restore my faith in humanity. I discovered that morning that sometimes that somebody is a ferret.


I made up my mind to pass along the ferret’s gesture of goodwill.    


Today I will make the small gesture of goodwill.


Fawlty Showers © 2020 by Ken Montrose

Fawlty Showers is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

·         www.greenbriartraining.com 

·         https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S

·         https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment