Thursday, September 3, 2020



 Addictions, Compulsions, Bad Habits

That weekend Dr. Deb and I went to a wedding.  When I was around alcohol, I tried to spot other people’s addictions and compulsions.  Listing them reminded me to beware of my own.


I noticed the woman who ate a salad for dinner was wandering around the cookie table, a plate in each hand, like a shark circling survivors of shipwreck.


A man in his sixties aggressively flirted with the twenty-something bridesmaid.  His thirty-something girlfriend didn’t seem pleased.


A guy went out for a smoke as soon as the bride walked up the aisle.


A man at our table argued with his wife about how much his boat cost. Apparently they wouldn’t be making waves any time soon.


An attention seeking aunt had to just say a few thousand words after the Best Man gave his toast. The bride didn’t seem pleased with the potty-training stories.


Another guy constantly checking his phone thought the wedding was nice, but Ohio State beating the point spread was wonderful.


I left the reception glad I was sober, aware of the limitless variety of bad addictions, compulsions, and bad habits.


Today I’ll beware of other addictions, compulsions, and bad habits.

 

Fawlty Showers © 2020 by Ken Montrose

Fawlty Showers is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

·         www.greenbriartraining.com 

·         https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S

·         https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment