Tuesday, January 12, 2021


Fawlty Showers


Selfish

M.A. had snuck into my desk drawer again. When I opened it, he stared at me with that mouth squinty, corner turned up on one side, skeptical look.  He was telling me not to sprain my arm patting myself on the back.


“OK,” I said. “Some of my desire to help is selfish, but doing something unselfish for selfish reasons is better than doing nothing.”


M.A. made a chattering sound I took for agreement.  Cuddles, who’d been sleeping on a chair, stretched and yawned. Cats tend to be cynics.


I continued. “If somebody stops drinking and driving, they then pay taxes, make the roads safer, and maybe set a good example for other people.  If that same person continues drinking, they put my life, the lives of my family, the lives of my friends, and everyone else in danger.   If they go to prison, I contribute to their upkeep for years.  Maybe I do this for selfish reasons, but it feels like the right thing to do. “


Today I’ll selfishly help someone else.

 


Fawlty Showers is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

www.greenbriartraining.com 

https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S

https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/


No comments:

Post a Comment