Wednesday, January 12, 2022

Fawlty Showers 2

Shocking

My mind wandered on the drive home. As I came around a bend, a deer meandering across the road startled me.  I swerved, missing the animal by inches and almost veering into a ditch on the other side. 


“Wasn’t paying attention,” I said to the steering wheel, feeling more than a little shaken up. “Lucky I didn’t hit him. What if instead of a deer it was somebody walking their dog?”


The near miss jolted me into paying closer attention to the road. I thought of how life could be like a defibrillator, painfully shocking us, but helping us stay alive.


Getting dumped hurt, but made most people take a look at how they treated significant others. Many people quit drinking after a costly DUI, or stopped smoking after a minor heart attack. The pain of losing a job lead some folks to change careers.  The list went on.


“Nobody wants to get shocked into change, but wise people are grateful later.”

 


Today I’ll try to be grateful for whatever shocks me into making changes.

 

 

Fawlty Showers 2 is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

                    www.greenbriartraining.com  

                    https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S

 

#addictionawareness #dailymessage #inspiration #odaat #recoveryposse #recoveryispossible

 

No comments:

Post a Comment