Wednesday, January 19, 2022

Fawlty Showers 2

 The Dance is Over

As I walked into work the next day, a thirtysomething woman sat in the lobby staring at her shoes. I asked how she was doing.


“My devil’s a good dancer,” she said, “but you don’t want to be the one he takes home.”


I thought I knew what she meant. We sat in silence as she collected her thoughts.


She said, “I had a lot of fun drinking, especially with my friends. They seemed to know to when to stop, when the dance was over.  At the end of the night we all went home, but I kept drinking, kept dancing with that devil.”


“I’m glad you’re here,” I said.


“I’m so stupid,” she said, wiping away a tear.


“Just the opposite. Many people dance with their own devils – food, sex, gambling, shopping, drama, resentment, a toxic relationship, whatever – until their lives are ruined.   You were wise enough to know it was time to stop going to the dance.”

 

Today I won’t be going to the dance.

 

Fawlty Showers 2 is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

                    www.greenbriartraining.com  

                    https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S

 

#addictionawareness #dailymessage #inspiration #odaat #recoveryposse #recoveryispossible

No comments:

Post a Comment