Thursday, January 13, 2022

Fawlty Showers 2

Cleansing Rumble

When I got home from the funeral I felt more weary than tired. I decided I’d rest my eyes for a moment before I opened my laptop. Dr. Deb woke me three hours later.


 “How was your nap?” she asked.


“I was meditating,” I said. “Pondering deep metaphysical questions of cosmic importance.”


Dr. Deb snorted. “You were snoring.”


“Clearly you don’t know the difference between snoring and what the Buddha called ‘the cleansing rumble.’”


“The cleansing rumble? You made that up.”


I had, not knowing much more about Buddhism than it was spelled with two d’s and an h in the middle. 


“It’s not a well-known concept,” I said, trying to keep a straight face.

   

“I’m glad you got a little extra rest,” she said, wrapping her arms around me. “I think losing Stanley has weighed on you more than you realize.”


I knew she was right. I had needed a little extra sleep.

We could learn from elite athletes, I thought. Runners preparing for marathons load up on carbs.  Weightlifters consume more protein to rebuild muscle after long workouts. 


In our busy world, too many of us don’t follow their example. Those of us doing more than usual, or getting through something draining, often don’t get any extra rest.

 

Today I will get a little extra rest if I need it.

 

Fawlty Showers 2 is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

                    www.greenbriartraining.com  

                    https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S

 

#addictionawareness #dailymessage #inspiration #odaat #recoveryposse #recoveryispossible
 

No comments:

Post a Comment