Monday, March 16, 2015

Challenging
“Do you want to help coach?” KC asked.
“First tell me why nobody else wanted to,” I said.  “Why didn’t one of the dads volunteer?”
“Three of the dads and one of the moms volunteered.  The priest who runs the school tried to mediate, but the four of them couldn’t even agree on a time to meet. He threw up his hands and said none of them could coach.  The school nurse is a friend of my wife’s.  She told him about my playing days, and the priest called me.”
“So before we even start, four of the kids have a parent who thinks he or she should have been the coach. Great.”
“Some of the other parents were divided about who they wanted to coach.  They won’t be happy either.”
“This just gets better and better. You know the game, what do you need me for?” I asked.
“Just to help out. Work with half the team in practice.  Run some basic drills. We practice or have a game every day but Sunday.  With two coaches there’s a better chance one of us will always be available.” After the slightest of pauses, he added “Be in charge of their conditioning.”
And there it was, KC could get around his fear of pushing the kids by having me do it. Disgruntled parents, no money, lots of time, and a friend who’d be holding his breath whenever I made the kids run.
“OK,” I said. “When does it start?”

Today I will accept a challenge.

Life on Life’s Terms II © 2015 by Ken Montrose

(Just a reminder: LOLT II is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance to anyone you might know is purely coincidental.)

Freebie:
The ebook version of Forgiveness in Recovery is available 3/16 through 3/20 at  http://www.amazon.com/Ken-Montrose/e/B001K8MG0S.


No comments:

Post a Comment