Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Easier said, what must be done
The next day I was preparing a presentation for family night.  My heart sank to the bottom of my chest as I pondered coping with a child’s addiction.  The last echo of laughter from the night before died away as I asked myself painful questions. If a child of mine became addicted, would I draw a hard line?  Would I practice tough love?  Would I allow her to feel the consequences of her addiction? Would I refuse to pay his bills, bail him out of jail, or even allow him to live in my home until he got help?   
Or, would I make excuses for her?  Would I pay his fines? Would I give her money, lying to myself about what she might buy with it?
I knew whatever I told the family members about taking a firm stand with their addicted loved ones would be ‘easier said than done.’ And yet, I also knew these were things they had to do to take care of themselves and increase their loved one’s chances of getting clean and sober.   

Today I will remember something ‘easier said than done’
is often the most important thing to do.

Life on Life’s Terms II © 2015 by Ken Montrose


(Just a reminder: LOLT II is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance to anyone you might know is purely coincidental.)

No comments:

Post a Comment