Sunday, March 29, 2015

Don’t mind the small minds
On my way out of the building I ran into Terry, who was standing by himself, looking sad.  I asked him if he was OK.
 He said, “Fifteen people in that room. Ten of them think I’m just pretending I’ve learned my lesson. They’re glad I went to jail and they can’t wait for me to go back.  Three don’t think it’s an act.  They’re happy I’ve been taken down a peg. Maybe two people think I’m sincere. They’re the only ones who hope I get sober.  Maybe I was a pompous ass, but do I deserve this?”
“Listen,” I said, “I knew two guys who hit hard times.  One was born with a silver spoon in his mouth. He was arrogant and entitled.  Went to jail on tax evasion.  Small minds cheered.
“Another man pulled himself up by his bootstraps.  He was born in poverty, but built a business from the ground up.  He gave back to the community, and remained humble.  He lost his business because he couldn’t compete with overseas sweat shops. Small minds in his old neighborhood cheered.”
“That’s supposed to make me feel better? A story about two guys who fail?”
“That’s supposed to show you small minds don’t care who you were, or why you fell.  They’re just happy you’re down. Don’t let small minds get to you.”

Today I won’t let small minds get to me.
Life on Life’s Terms II © 2015 by Ken Montrose


(Just a reminder: LOLT II is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance to anyone you might know is purely coincidental.)

Freebie
The kindle version of Choosing a Higher Purpose: A Guide for Agnostics/Atheists in Early Recovery will be free from March 30th to April 3rd at:

No comments:

Post a Comment