Sunday, March 1, 2015

The Right Fear
Terry and Teller had so much in common.  Both were middle-aged white guys.  They even had similar sounding names.  The difference, I thought, was in their fears.  Terry had the problem, but wouldn’t admit it because he feared the treatment.  Teller feared the problem and wanted to make sure he never needed the treatment. Teller’s fear served him well, Terry’s was keeping him sick.
I’d always feared being anywhere I couldn’t leave – buses, planes, boats, trains. I didn’t like to be places without my own car. It was an irrational fear that had interfered with my life at times. I had worked hard to overcome it.
Twenty-six years sober, I still avoided being around alcohol by myself.  When I traveled alone, I wouldn’t eat anywhere they had a liquor license.  I feared someday I’d be sitting at a restaurant where nobody knew me, having a really bad day, wondering if after all those years if one drink really mattered.  Fearing that scenario had helped me stay sober for a long time. I made no effort to overcome it.

Today I will take stock of my fears.

Life on Life’s Terms II © 2015 by Ken Montrose

Freebies
The ebook version of Heroin, Oxycontin, & Other Opiates: Breaking your addiction to them will be available free of charge from Monday March 2nd until Friday March 6th at:
http://www.amazon.com/Ken-Montrose/e/B001K8MG0S.

No comments:

Post a Comment