Sunday, March 22, 2015

‘I forgot to mention …’
Teller called me the next day.  He had talked with KC and the two had hit it off.  “What a story that man has!” he said. 
“How’re you doing?” I asked.
“The pain in my shoulder comes and goes. Mostly it comes when I’m stressed.  I worry about something, and my muscles tighten.  That makes my shoulder hurt.  I worry about my shoulder hurting and it hurts worse.”
“What’d the doc say?”
“I don’t see the surgeon for three months. I have the pills he gave me if the pain gets real bad.  My primary care doc gave me Ultram to relax the muscles and Xanax to ease my mind.”
“I’m guessing you didn’t tell your primary care doc you’re worried about addiction.”  Teller shook his head. “What a set-up,” I added. “You get to take the pills but blame the doc if things go bad.  All because you weren’t honest.”
“I didn’t lie,” Teller protested. 
He was too smart not to realize the seriousness of the situation.  Addiction was in his genes.   His brother had likely committed suicide because of his addiction.   A little of my annoyance seeped through when I said, “You weren’t completely honest either.  You didn’t tell the doc everything he needed to know.  If you want to avoid addiction, and a lot of life’s other problems, start by practicing rigorous honesty.  That includes lying by omission.”
“You’re right,” he said.  “Preachy and rigid, but right.”

Today I will practice rigorous honesty.
Life on Life’s Terms II © 2015 by Ken Montrose


(Just a reminder: LOLT II is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance to anyone you might know is purely coincidental.)


No comments:

Post a Comment