Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Storm
A few days later Teller called to say his surgery had gone well.  He hadn’t taken anything stronger than aspirin and the pain was manageable. 
“I’ve gone through some storms and come out the other side,” he said.  “Iraq, my brother’s death, my divorce – they toughened me up.  I learned from them.  I gotta tell you though Ken, I saw what the drugs did to my brother.  I think I knew before I talked to you, his death was no accident. I’d be happy to have this storm just pass me by.
I made a list of storms that had passed me by, things that could have happened to me but didn’t.  I tried to estimate how many times I had driven drunk without getting a DUI.  My list included all the physical and emotional problems people I knew had to cope with, but I had escaped.  I finished the list with all the people and things that made my life worth living.

Today I will be grateful for storms that passed me by.

Life on Life’s Terms II © 2015 by Ken Montrose

No comments:

Post a Comment