Thursday, June 4, 2015

A little fun
There were two messages waiting for me after lunch.  The first was from Dr. Ludden.  The state licensing board had asked me not to have any contact with her during their investigation. I asked Ms. Rella to send an email gently reminding Dr. Ludden of the board’s request.
The second message was from KC.  We were seeded number one in the playoffs. I called him to get the details.
“So what are you going to tell the boys?” I asked, after he’d filled me in on the playoff schedule.  KC had played both basketball and football in high school. People said he’d hit a wide receiver so hard he’d knock the wind out of the guy’s whole family. If you stood in the cemetery during games, you could hear an oooph sound coming from the receiver’s deceased loved ones after a KC tackle. I expected a ‘pedal to the metal, take no prisoners, leave it all on the court, crush the other team so bad hearing the sound of a bouncing ball leaves them whimpering in a puddle of their own urine,’ speech.
“I’ll tell them to have fun, they earned it,” he said.  “You too, you’ve worked hard. No playing the bad guy for me tonight, no Attila the Run.  Let’s both have fun at practice.”
“Sounds good to me,” I said.  Building on KC’s comment, I made a list of the things I worked at; starting with staying clean and sober, including all the roles and responsibilities I met, and ending with the extras that filled my day.  It truly was time to have a little fun.

Today I will have a little fun. I’ve earned it.


Life on Life’s Terms II © 2015 by Ken Montrose

(Just a reminder: LOLT II is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance to anyone you might know is purely coincidental.)

No comments:

Post a Comment