Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Challenged
When Marty and Terry walked away, Benjamin stayed behind to talk to me. I’d seen a dramatic change in Benjamin since he’d found out his girlfriend was pregnant.  Still, I was surprised when he said, “I don’t care if the baby’s mine or not, I’m gonna help my girlfriend raise him.”

There was no way for me to know if he’d truly partner with his girlfriend to parent their child.  I did know at that moment he seemed sincere.  My gut feeling was he’d rise to meet the challenge, if he stayed clean and sober.  I thought of all the heartache caused by parents who didn’t live up to their responsibilities, glad Benjamin might not become one of them.  “Good for you,” I said, “but how do you know the baby is going to be a boy?”

He laughed, “Oh dear Lord, there’s no way God would let me raise a girl!”

Today I will be grateful for people who rise to meet their challenges.

Life on Life’s Terms II © 2015 by Ken Montrose

(Just a reminder: LOLT II is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance to anyone you might know is purely coincidental.)

No comments:

Post a Comment