Monday, June 1, 2015

Who you foolin’?
“How many NA meetings do you go to?” I asked Marty.
“See here’s why I don’t think I can live with my wife anymore,” Marty answered.  “I go to just one meeting in the evening.  I’m trying to do those ninety meetings in ninety days you guys recommended. I can’t make y’all happy without making her mad.”   
Benjamin made a gesture like he was shoveling something.  “Are you telling me you go to meetings to make the staff here happy? That your wife is being unreasonable? Why don’t you ever go to meetings during the day with the rest of the group?  I’m betting it’s because you hit the same NA meeting every night as your would-be girlfriend.  Afterwards people from that meeting grab something to eat, but somehow you always end up sitting next to her.”
Terry shook his head.  “I spent the morning picking up after my dogs.  Put it all in a little bag.  I can put a bow on the bag, but it won’t change what’s inside.  Wrap this up any way you like, Marty, and it’s still about you and some young girl.”
Marty protested, but Terry and Benjamin were right, and he knew it.  Marty looked to me for support, but I said, “Don’t look at me.  Be grateful you have friends like Benjamin and Terry who are willing to call you out when you need it.”

Today I will try to be grateful for people willing to confront me.

Life on Life’s Terms II © 2015 by Ken Montrose

(Just a reminder: LOLT II is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance to anyone you might know is purely coincidental.)

No comments:

Post a Comment