Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Progress Not Perfection
A year after Marty’s girlfriend ransacked his house I ran into Benjamin’s girlfriend at a grocery store.  She was pushing a beautiful little girl in a stroller.  I was surprised she remembered me. She told me how Benjamin had cleaned up his act.  His bad habits, except one, had fallen away. 

She put her hands over her daughter’s ears.  “Those &^%$#$%^ scratch off tickets!  He still buys one every day.  He leaves the scratch off crumbs everywhere! We’re all going to die of some hideous form of cancer because the crumbs got into our food.” 

She talked about how Benjamin had been on the bubble, not drinking, but still surrounded by his addictions.  While thrilled he’d slid into recovery, she didn’t see him living out his natural life if he kept leaving the scratch off crumbs on their kitchen table. “I’ll cut him,” she said, laughing. “I’ll cut him with one of those &^%$#$%^ tickets.”

Today I will remember ‘progress not perfection.’

Life on Life’s Terms II © 2015 by Ken Montrose
Other publications available at: http://www.amazon.com/Ken-Montrose/e/B001K8MG0S


(Just a reminder: LOLT II is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance to anyone you might know is purely coincidental.)

No comments:

Post a Comment