Sunday, June 7, 2015

Laughing: When There’s Nothing Else To Do
I took Blondie with me to practice that night.  While the team was at one end of the court she shot foul shots at the other.  KC had seen several of Blondie’s game and knew she was an excellent foul shooter.  He called her over.
“I want you to watch her form after the ball leaves her hand,” KC said to the boys as Blondie walked to the foul line. “Watch closely.”
Blondie bounced the ball twice, and then brought it up to her shoulder.  Just as she was about to shoot I demanded in the harshest voice I could muster, “Why are you guys staring at my daughter?”
Playing along, KC said to Blondie, “Kid go through your shooting motion slowly, I want these guys to see how your elbow and your shooting hand are always aligned.  He looked at the confused faces of the boys and added, “Concentrate guys.  Focus your full attention on her.”
Their eyes darted from me to Blondie to KC, looking for a clue for how they should handle this situation.
“I have a baseball bat in my trunk,” I said. “Don’t make me get it.”
They were slow on the uptake, but finally they realized KC and I were messing with them.
“She’s so pretty,” Salt said to Hardwork and the Maker, loud enough for everyone to hear.
“Must have a pretty mom,” Pepper said, looking right at me and laughing.
As I stepped toward them, Salt and Pepper backpedaled away from me.  My plan was to grab one of them, wrestle him to the ground, and pretend to pummel him.  A minute into the chase I realized I wasn’t going to catch either one. “You better run!” I said to Salt.
“You better sit down, and catch your breath coach!” Hardwork said to me.  “I don’t care what they taught us in school, I’m not giving coach CPR!” he said to his teammates.  Practice got even sillier from then on.

Today I will laugh at impossible situations.
(It might not change the situation, but I’ll feel better.)

Life on Life’s Terms II © 2015 by Ken Montrose

(Just a reminder: LOLT II is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance to anyone you might know is purely coincidental.)

No comments:

Post a Comment