Thursday, June 11, 2015

Life, Recovery, Cars
Terry poked his head into my office as I was hanging up the phone.  He was done with treatment, and going back to work full-time in a few days.  We talked about transitions and how they’re almost always challenging.  He asked what I thought was the key to staying clean and sober.  I told him to remember the AA slogan, ‘don’t pick up the first drink.’  We talked about how not picking up the first whatever or whoever was vital to breaking any bad habit. “Don’t pick up the first drink, don’t pick up the first brownie, don’t pick up the first stranger,” I said.
“Change people, places, and things,” I added.  “Don’t rely on willpower, get rid of temptation instead.  One day at time enjoy good days, endure bad days, and know you’re one day tougher than you thought.”
 “Have a life,” I said.  “You will meet people whose sole focus is not doing something. They can’t wait to tell you what they don’t do, and how long since they’ve done it. You’ll know them by the way they act superior, but look miserable. They don’t really have a life.  I didn’t quit drinking to quit drinking. I quit drinking to enjoy the rest of my life. I hope you’ll do the same.”
“If life is a journey, recovery is just a vehicle,” he said.  “You’re telling me not to live in my car.” 

Today I will remember life is a journey, recovery is a vehicle, and I don’t want to live in my car.

Life on Life’s Terms II © 2015 by Ken Montrose

(Just a reminder: LOLT II is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance to anyone you might know is purely coincidental.)

No comments:

Post a Comment