Monday, June 22, 2015

When good things happen to bad people
Six weeks passed without a word from the licensing board.  I called Mikey to see what happened. He told me Doc had agreed not to practice medicine for five years.  I said that seemed fair.  He snorted. “She was offered a cushy job by a big drug company. More money, no patients, lots of travel.  And don’t underestimate Doc.  She’ll find a way to keep everyone knee deep in Valium and Xanax without writing a prescription.” I asked him if he wasn’t a little angry about Doc’s good fortune.

 “I never waste time worrying about someone else’s good fortune. People used to say jail time was your debt to society for committing a crime.  My dad told me when you get away with something, you add a little interest to that debt. You get a little bolder. You do something that carries a stiffer penalty.  When the debt comes due, you owe much more than you would have had you been caught the first time.  Doc got away with one, but she added some interest.  Now she’s not so worried about the licensing board ‘cause she thinks she can work around whatever they do to her. Someday she’s gonna kill someone with her prescription pad, probably one of the twins.  The debt she’ll owe will be enormous.” 

Today I’ll waste no energy resenting bad people’s good fortune.

Life on Life’s Terms II © 2015 by Ken Montrose
Other publications available at: http://www.amazon.com/Ken-Montrose/e/B001K8MG0S


(Just a reminder: LOLT II is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance to anyone you might know is purely coincidental.)

No comments:

Post a Comment