Monday, June 29, 2015

Better Attitude
The next morning a broken water main turned my usual fifteen minute commute into an hour and twenty minute tour of Pittsburgh’s northern suburbs. I wasn’t smiling when I got to work.
I had just sat down when a gaunt white kid wearing a stained Led Zeppelin t-shirt poked his head into my office. “Wanna watch me pee?” he asked.  Let’s get this over with, I thought.
We crossed the hall to the bathroom.  When he took the specimen cup from me I noticed his hands were shaking.  “You don’t need to fill it more than a quarter of the way up,” I said, having no desire to be splashed.
When he was done, he handed me his specimen cup as if it truly contained liquid gold.  I told him he could wash his hands and I’d let him know the results in a few minutes.  He asked if he could watch me run the test.  I dipped the ten panel kit into the cup and counted to thirty.  After I put the bottom cap back on the kit, lines began to form on the test strips.  Each set of twin lines meant he’d tested negative for a particular drug.   When all ten panels showed negative, he let out a whoop.  “First time I’ve been completely clean in ten years!” 
His name was Sam.  I didn’t know much about him except he was nineteen years old, his life was a wreck, and at that moment his attitude was better than mine.

Today I will follow the lead of people with better attitudes.


Writing My New Story © 2015 by Ken Montrose
Other publications available at: http://www.amazon.com/Ken-Montrose/e/B001K8MG0S


(Just a reminder: Writing My New Story is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance to anyone you might know is purely coincidental.)

No comments:

Post a Comment