Monday, February 8, 2016

55. Let Me Explain
The next day I was standing at the window in the break room, enjoying the sunshine, and drinking my first cup of coffee. Norman stood next to me, and looking away, said, “I told you about Marcus, the kid with special needs who lives next door.  Until the accident my son Devin looked out for Marcus. Now Devin has a serious brain injury.  He’s angry and bitter, and Marcus doesn’t understand why Devin doesn’t like him anymore.”  I nodded my head.
“I tried to tell my cousin what happened, but it took me forever,” Norman said. “I tried to explain about road conditions, my mental state, the role of alcohol in our culture, genetics, and the influence of beer commercials. Finally, I realized the truth was simple.  I got drunk, totaled my car, and almost killed my son.  Everything else was just me trying to hide from that truth.”
Today I will remember a lengthy explanation often hides a painful truth.

Sober Not Somber © 2015 by Ken Montrose

(Just a reminder: Sober Not Somber is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance to anyone you might know is purely coincidental.)

No comments:

Post a Comment