Monday, February 15, 2016

60. Soon Enough?
A young man I didn’t recognize was meeting with Bridget the Super Intern in the office next to mine. I could hear their conversation.  Bridget and The Other Ken had added a Thursday screening to his usual Monday drug test.  He had failed miserably.  He seemed almost relieved. 
Setting aside people who rebel against any and all authority, and sociopaths with no moral compass, most folks who get into trouble early learn their lesson and change their ways.   This young man had the rare insight to know not getting caught had allowed him to drift further and further into dangerous waters.  He’d started out a casual user and ended up a drug dealer. 
I thought of all the times I’d driven drunk before I had my final crash.  Had I gotten into trouble sooner I wondered if I might have stopped drinking earlier in life. “The problem is not getting caught soon enough,” I said to myself. 

Today I will beware of not getting caught.
Sober Not Somber © 2015 by Ken Montrose

(Just a reminder: Sober Not Somber is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance to anyone you might know is purely coincidental.)

No comments:

Post a Comment