Sunday, February 14, 2016

59. You Think That’s Funny?
Matey and Terrence were the last to arrive.  Terrence moved slowly as Matey kept pace with him.  I saw the concern on Matey’s face, and the determination on Terrence’s.  
I asked Terrence what happened.  He said, “I fell on the treadmill at physical therapy.  Set back the rehab of this hip a couple months.” He shook his head in frustration.
“So he says,” Matey the marine said, “but you know the Army, always moving slow and gettin’ there late.”  The two stopped moving and traded insults for almost five minutes, laughing harder and harder.  They were both smiling when they finally walked into group.  
They reminded me of my early years in AA.  I had learned to avoid the few politically correct, self-appointed, conversation monitors.  Instead, I listened to people who had learned to laugh about almost anything, especially their own painful episodes.  As they joked about their pasts, and traded insults in a loving way, I realized the future could be a lot of fun.  They reminded me to be grateful for the friends not easily offended, and not afraid of offending me.

Today I will be grateful for people who can laugh with me.

Sober Not Somber © 2015 by Ken Montrose

(Just a reminder: Sober Not Somber is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance to anyone you might know is purely coincidental.)

No comments:

Post a Comment