Tuesday, February 16, 2016

61. PEOPLE, Places, & Things
Bitsi (Bridget The Super Intern) and The Kid made their way to group.  She reminded the group the slogan “people, places, and things” meant avoiding reminders of substance abuse. She said, “Another reason for changing people is because some won’t adapt to the changes in you.  It’s not really their job to adapt, but it if you want to be clean, sober, and eventually happy, you may have to. ” She asked the group for examples, whether they involved addiction or not.
“My brothers get high when we watch football at the weasel’s house,” Norman said. “They won’t adapt to my sobriety.  I can’t blame them.  We started getting high during games as teenagers.  If I want to enjoy watching football again, I’ll have to watch with other people.”
The Kid said: “Nothing to do with drugs, but my buddy broke his back falling off a roof.  He only visits home on holidays because he has to eat in the basement. Makes him feel like a kid.  His family won’t install a ramp to the main level.  He can’t adapt and they won’t. It breaks his heart, but he’s gonna start spending holidays with me. He’ll be happier in the long run.”

I may have to feel bad about changing some people today, to be happier tomorrow.
Sober Not Somber © 2015 by Ken Montrose

(Just a reminder: Sober Not Somber is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance to anyone you might know is purely coincidental.)

No comments:

Post a Comment