Wednesday, February 10, 2016

57. Singing My Praises
Later that day Andra stopped by to tell me she wasn’t a weed, didn’t spend too much time with Norman, and while he might be depressed, she wasn’t.  I laughed and told her I only knew what I saw.  She frowned, but changed the subject.
“My girlfriends are glad I’m back on the wagon,” Andra said, “But not as happy as they were the first time I got sober.”
I asked her if that bothered her. She said, “My brother was the star of the family. Nothing I did was ever anything more than ‘cute.’  I learned early to sing my own praises when I accomplished something. Mostly I sing them quietly to myself, but it’s nice when other people join in.”  
When I accomplish something today, I will I sing my own praises, if just quietly to myself.

Sober Not Somber © 2015 by Ken Montrose

(Just a reminder: Sober Not Somber is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance to anyone you might know is purely coincidental.)

No comments:

Post a Comment