Wednesday, February 24, 2016

67. Singing in Shower
When I got home Brat Boy showed me a video of a woman, visibly drunk, addressing a school assembly on the dangers of binge drinking.   A friend from another school had sent it to him.  The woman spoke for almost ten minutes before a teacher pulled her from the stage.  I knew the video would go viral. I knew the woman would be humiliated.  I knew the woman – Marjorie.
The most embarrassing thing I had done that week was sing in the gym shower.  (After a really intense workout, I had shut my eyes and for a moment, or two, or fifteen minutes, forgot where I was.)  When I got out of the shower, my fellow gym rat Mikey was in the locker room, laughing. My face reddened, but I sang another couple of lines just to show him I wasn’t too embarrassed.

Today I refuse to do anything humiliating, or to be embarrassed by the little things.

Sober Not Somber © 2015, 2016 by Ken Montrose

(Just a reminder: Sober Not Somber is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance to anyone you might know is purely coincidental.)

No comments:

Post a Comment