Sunday, March 5, 2017

55. Can I keep ‘em?
I went to a wedding later that week with friends from high school.  Thirty years earlier, when we were going to each other’s weddings, we joked about sex, classmates dating and marrying,  and school loans. Sometimes we laughed in church until someone’s mom shot us that ‘you’re almost thirty, do I still have to tell you to be quiet in here’ look.

That night we talked about kids and their school loans, politics, and who had beaten cancer. I knew by the time my children got married, we’d be talking about grandkids, retirement, and who’d lost their battles with cancer.

When I got sober, I discovered I might have to change some ‘people, places, and things’ to stay clean.   A few people were so toxic to my sobriety I had to cut them out of my life.  Others quit coming around when I quit drinking.  I counted myself lucky to have friendships that lasted.

Today I’ll be grateful for the people who’ve stayed in my life.


Needles Not For Knitting is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Needles Not For Knitting (c) 2017 by Ken Montrose

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

http://www.amazon.com/Ken-Montrose/e/B001K8MG0S

No comments:

Post a Comment