Thursday, March 2, 2017

54. Rewrite
While I was online, I stumbled on a quote by James Michener: “I'm not a very good writer, but I'm an excellent rewriter.” I thought of my life, and the  people I had met as a therapist.  Our lives were like historical fiction.  Past events couldn’t change, but the stories we told ourselves, and the message and morals we got from them, could. Were we stupid or just young and naïve?  Had we not given ourselves enough credit? Were we completely the victim, or did we play some role in our downfall?  Were we heroes in quiet ways easily overlooked?

If we’re smart, I decided, rewriting makes us better writers.  When we start the next chapter, or even a whole new story, we’ve learned from our mistakes and our triumphs.  We know our strengths and weaknesses, and we twist the plot.

Today I will write a new story, and maybe rewrite an old one.

Needles Not For Knitting is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Needles Not For Knitting (c) 2017 by Ken Montrose

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

http://www.amazon.com/Ken-Montrose/e/B001K8MG0S

No comments:

Post a Comment