Wednesday, March 22, 2017

66. Before Life Kicks The Denial Out Of Me
I was the first to get to work the next day. A black Escalade straddled two handicap parking spots in front of the building.  As I walked past, the driver rolled down his window and asked if I was one of those idiot therapists. Technically, I’m a trainer, not a therapist, so I answered honestly.

“No I’m not,” I said. Gerry’s father rolled the window back up.  I felt my rage building, wanting to scream at him, ‘You’re the idiot. You’re the one who drank with his son.  You’re the one who got high with his wife.  You’re half the reason they’re dead.’

Instead I walked through the glass doors to the lobby.  I texted Miss Rella telling her to enter the building from the other side.  I asked her to let everyone else know they should do the same.  The police arrived ten minutes after I called 911.

As they took him away, my rage cooled just enough for me to hope this was his wake-up call.  He was estranged from his family and had just buried his wife and son.  He had just been arrested. If this kick in the teeth didn’t wake him up, what would?

When I got to my office, I made a list of times I’d made changes before life kicked the denial out of me.

Today I’ll be grateful for any changes I made before life kicked  the denial out of me.


Needles Not For Knitting is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Needles Not For Knitting (c) 2017 by Ken Montrose


Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: http://www.amazon.com/Ken-Montrose/e/B001K8MG0S

No comments:

Post a Comment