Thursday, March 30, 2017

5. Who’s Got Your Back?
That night I went to an AA meeting.  Hilary was new to the group, but sober three years. Her husband had been killed by a drunk driver ten years earlier.  She’d spent the next seven drowning her grief in wine.  The irony wasn’t lost on her. 
She’d recently started dating again. “How’d last night go?” I asked.
She laughed for a solid minute. “So he pulls up in his Mercedes and texts me to say he’s here.  I haven’t dated in twenty years.  I thought maybe that’s how things were done nowadays. I grab my coat, and my son Heath asks me where I’m going.  I tell him.  Heath goes out to the car, tells the guy he has to come to the door, or he’s not taking his mother anywhere.  The guy left.”
“Were you mad at your son or the guy?”
“Neither. I was so proud of Heath.  He has my back.  Here’s a gratitude list for you, people who have your back.” 

Today I will be grateful for people who have my back.

Time for a Change ©2017 by Ken Montrose
Time for a Change is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com

No comments:

Post a Comment