Tuesday, June 5, 2018


I Should Be Committed
I changed the subject.  “What’s up with you and the woman from the animal shelter?”

“I bought an engagement ring,” Daniel said.

“Congratulations, when are you proposing?” I asked. Daniel said nothing. “Daniel?”

“I’ve had it for months. I just can’t seem to give it to her.”

“You’re not sure she’s the one?”

“Oh no, I’m completely committed to her.”

“There’s a saying I like about commitment: ‘In a ham and eggs breakfast, the chicken participates but the pig is committed.’”

“So, from the pig’s point of view, commitment means death,” Daniel pointed out.

“Forget the chicken and the pig.  People who commit to recovering from addiction, who do everything they can to eliminate the people, places, and things tied to their drug, tend be happier in the long run. They just have to get over that initial fear of commitment.”

Today I won’t fear commitment.

Burnout Training ©2018 by Ken Montrose

Burnout Training is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment