Monday, June 11, 2018


Stupid Labels
Weedman told me how he got scammed. Looking back, the way that one mistake colored his self-image  amazed him. An incredibly bright man, he convinced himself getting scammed proved all his academic successes were a fraud. 

“I felt like such an idiot, I decided I must be an idiot,” he said. “It took months for me to shake that label. Do you do that, label yourself based on how you feel?”

I laughed. “All the time,” I said.  “If I eat that third brownie, I feel guilty. I’ll call myself weak-willed, even though I haven’t given in to temptations to drink in thirty years.  If I skip a day at the gym without a good reason, I’ll label myself ‘lazy,’ even though I work out about five times a week.  The list goes on.”

“Stupid labels,” he muttered.

Today I won’t label myself based on how I feel.

Burnout Training ©2018 by Ken Montrose

Burnout Training is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment