Friday, June 1, 2018


Try It
Later that day Daniels stuck his head into my cubicle carrying a spray bottle.

“You have to see this,” he said as he pushed my computer monitor to the side of my desk.

“I’m not in your way, am I?” I asked, a little put off he was moving my paperwork to the floor.  Daniel missed my sarcastic tone.  He sprayed my desktop, counted out loud to fifteen and then wiped my desk.

“Look at that,” he said, adding a short whistle. “This stuff really brings out the woodgrain!”  To my eye, the desk looked just a little less dusty and a little shinier than it had a second earlier.  

Daniel told me the story of how he’d discovered this miraculous cleaning product. He described in loving detail the fine ingredients of the spray, and why it was worth $35 a bottle.  He reminded me of a high school friend describing improvements he’d made to the rolling rust heap he was turning into a race car/chick magnet.  Both had found a truly joyful pursuit that involved no drugs.

Back in high school, I never shared friends’ enthusiasm for auto repair, but I was happy for them.  Likewise, I couldn’t get too excited about expensive furniture polish, but Daniel’s delight made me smile.

I knew too many people whose addictions ate up so much of their time and money, they never learned what else life has to offer.  I wondered what was out there that I might learn to love if I tried it.

Today I’ll be open to new experiences.

Burnout Training ©2018 by Ken Montrose

Burnout Training is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment