Wednesday, June 6, 2018


Right Turn
My phone rang. The New Boss wanted to see me.

“The people paying for your burnout training want to keep the copyrights to your materials.”

“People in hell want ice-water,” I said, laughing. The New Boss didn’t laugh. Not even a little. I sat up straighter in my chair.  “If I give them the copyrights, I’ll need their permission every time I present those materials.  They’ll charge me to use my own stuff. It’s a money grab, boss.”

“Ken, you’re new here, so maybe you don’t realize these people are one of our best clients.”

We’d already negotiated a lower price for them.  Giving them the copyrights seemed a like a compromise too many.  On the other hand, I had a kid in college, car payments, and a strong desire to keep eating and living indoors. I needed that job.

“Can’t do it,” I said, picturing myself walking an imaginary plank. 

The New Boss frowned and sighed. “OK,” was all he said.

I walked back to my cubicle, wondering what they were serving for lunch at the homeless shelter. 

Today I will accept doing the right thing can be scary.

Burnout Training ©2018 by Ken Montrose

Burnout Training is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment