Thursday, June 28, 2018


Today I Survive
I got a text from a guy I’d met early in recovery. At the time he had been going through an ugly divorce, and knew his family had good reasons to be angry with him.  (Among other things, his wife didn’t think wetting the bed was sexy, his kids didn’t think throwing handfuls of birthday cake at their friends was funny.)

I had run up a huge debt, drank myself out of my Ph.D. program, gotten divorced, and hit a county sheriff at 3:00 a.m.
  
We survived those early days, wondering when life would get better. One old-timer told us ‘Survive today, thrive tomorrow.’ We latched onto it.

He texted me, ‘Survive today…”

I texted back, ‘…thrive tomorrow.”  He texted me he was retiring.  He and his second wife were celebrating their 25th anniversary.  His children from his first marriage had forgiven him long ago. The pictures of his grandchildren were adorable.

Today I survive, tomorrow I thrive.

Burnout Training ©2018 by Ken Montrose

Burnout Training is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment