Sunday, June 17, 2018


Planting Seeds
I took a deep breath and said, “I don’t know your son, but I’d bet he sold his car to buy drugs. Or the dealer has it.”

“The car dealer?” she asked. I almost said yes, just to spare her further pain.

“No, the dope-man.” I said.

“Who?” she asked. “The what?”

“His drug dealer,” I added. Silence. “The $500 wasn’t for the dentist. It went to the dealer too. Nobody put cocaine in his drink.” Longer silence.

Finally, she said, “Because you worked in addiction you’d think that, but you don’t know my son.”

I didn’t argue. I gave her the number and a contact at the rehab.  A heavy feeling settled into my chest. She wasn’t ready to hear her son was abusing drugs. The best I could do was hope I’d planted the seeds of doubt. Maybe the next time her son told her a wild story, she’d be a little suspicious.

Today I will accept that sometimes the best I can do is plant seeds.

Burnout Training ©2018 by Ken Montrose

Burnout Training is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment