Tuesday, June 12, 2018


On Churchill, Stones, and Dogs
“I have another bad habit,” Weedman said. “I throw stones, I bark back.”

“Not sure I know what you mean,” I said.

“Churchill said something like ‘you’ll never get to your destination if you stop to throw a stone at every dog that barks at you.’ He meant don’t waste time answering all your critics.  I get bogged down in stupid arguments with mine – in person and online. These fights eat up my time and go nowhere.”

“There’s a guy who comes to my trainings and insists opiates aren’t as addictive as people think. He says withdrawal is all in your head.  Usually I don’t argue with him, I don’t bark back.  We agree to disagree and I move on.  I wouldn’t get through the training if I didn’t.”

“You usually don’t argue?”

“Sometimes I get sucked into pointless arguments,” I said. “Sometimes I can’t help but bark back. But Churchill was right. The more I waste time that way, the less progress I make.”

Today on my way to my destination I won’t throw stones, I won’t bark back.

Burnout Training ©2018 by Ken Montrose

Burnout Training is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment