Monday, October 21, 2019


Investor
Cara called. She was struggling to stay sober.

“You used to be an investor,” I said. “Now you’re a gambler.”

“Please spare me the tortured analogy,” Cara said.

“Hey, you called me. You used to invest in yourself, like you invested in stocks.  You kept your money in, making minor adjustments over time. You didn’t pull your money out with every dip in the market. That’s what a gambler does.”

“Of course not,” Cara huffed. “I’m not an idiot.”

“Lately you’re all into your sobriety when life is good. When life goes sour, you don’t make adjustments to your lifestyle, you pull out all your clean time and invest in overpriced wine.”

Cara sighed. “I don’t know why I’ve become a gambler.”

“Human nature,” I said. “Some of us change jobs, change partners, change diets, change friends every time we encounter something we don’t like. Better to invest over the long haul.”

Today I will invest, not gamble.

Dogged Determination ©2018 & 2019 by Ken Montrose

Dogged Determination is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment