Thursday, October 3, 2019


The Voice of Reason
“So Dad,” Brat Boy said, “you were 50 miles into a 62 mile tour when you stopped?”

I said, “It killed me to quit then.  The rest of the ride was a gentle downhill slope followed by two miles of flats. I could have coasted most of the way.”

Brat Boy said, “Somebody talked you out of it.”

“A volunteer checked on me.  She said I looked really pale.  I said I was OK, she wanted to call an ambulance. Getting a ride to my car was a compromise.”

I expected a jab from him, but Brat Boy asked how bad I felt when I got home.

“I was beat down. I weighed eight pounds less than the day before. Don’t think it was all from the ride, but I was badly dehydrated.”

“Good thing that volunteer talked you out of completing the tour.”

“She was the voice of reason. I don’t always listen to that voice, but I’m always better off when I do.”

Today I’ll be grateful for the voice of reason.

Dogged Determination ©2018 & 2019 by Ken Montrose

Dogged Determination is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment