Thursday, October 3, 2019


Ego
Brat Boy asked me about the bike tour.

I said, “I started out at a reasonable pace, but hated seeing people pass me. I started passing them.”

“You made it a race,” Brat Boy said.

“There were snack/Gatorade stations every ten miles, and at the thirty-one mile turnaround. Three people hit the turnaround before me. Ten had stopped to fuel up.”

“You didn’t stop so you’d only have three people to catch,” Brat Boy guessed.

“Right. By this time I hadn’t eaten in four hours. I’d pedaled mostly uphill for two.  I’m hungry and thirsty. I drank half a bottle of Gatorade and kept going.

“At mile forty I slowed down. People started passing me. I gulped the rest of my Gatorade, pedaled past the station.

“Five miles later I almost fell off my bike. My whole body shook. Drenched in sweat. I barely made it to the next station. I guzzled Gatorade and ate a peanut butter sandwich.  I threw up.  Got a ride back to my car.”

“Why didn’t you stop sooner?” Brat Boy asked.

“My ego wouldn’t let me.  Couldn’t admit I needed to rest and refuel. I was like the guy too busy to save his marriage or go to rehab. Ego driven off a cliff. ”

Today I’ll beware my own ego.

Dogged Determination ©2018 & 2019 by Ken Montrose
Dogged Determination is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.
Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment