Wednesday, October 23, 2019


Manage Don’t Banish
The next day my back hurt a little less, but I needed Dr. Deb’s help to put on my socks. I had another training scheduled and needed to get to work.

The little addict in my head woke up, ready to debate. ‘You’re in legitimate pain. A little Vicodin can’t hurt after all those years clean. Besides, opioids were never your drug of choice.’  

I argued with him, pointing out I didn’t have bone cancer. I hadn’t been in a severe accident.  I wasn’t passing a kidney stone. The pain was legitimate, but manageable with ibuprophen.

Painkillers had never been my drug of choice, but I could see myself drifting into taking them every time I had some minor pain, including emotional pain.

“If you wreck five Chevys buying a Ford isn’t the answer,” I said out loud. “Painkillers are for severe pain, not anything I can manage.”

Today I will manage, not banish, the pain.

Dogged Determination ©2018 & 2019 by Ken Montrose
Dogged Determination is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.
Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment