Thursday, July 23, 2020

In a Minute
I stopped at a drive-through on my way home, thinking I’d get a fish sandwich and small fries. 

“I’ll have a Gut Buster with bacon, a vat of tater tots with cheese, and a cherry pie,” I said when it was my turn to order. “Oh, and a diet Coke.”

When I finished my meal, I tallied up the calories. Whatever good I’d done at the gym, I’d undone and then some.

“I’ll have a small salad for dinner,” I said to the steering wheel.

 ‘The shock absorbers asked me to remind you there’s a limit to how much weight they can bear,’ I imagined the steering wheel answering.

My workout had taken 90 minutes of sweat and effort. I had devoured my lunch in ten, sitting in my car, listening to the radio.

“Good done in an hour can easily be undone in a minute” I said to the wheel, remembering a guy who’d lost 23 years of sobriety, his 30 year marriage, and his business in one weekend.

Today I’ll remember good done in an hour can easily be undone in a minute.

Summer with the Slug Rats © 2020 by Ken Montrose

Summer with the Slug Rats is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:
https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment